Wednesday, June 22, 2011

London Recap Part 4: Miscellaneous

Shefali and I spent four days vacationing in London on our way to Mumbai. Whenever we travel to a new place, we make it a goal to eat our way from one end of town to the other. This four-part series will highlight our experiences.

Some of our adventures didn't involve a market, restaurant, or pub. Here are a few final thoughts:

- Trafalgar Square was my favorite tourist attraction.
- Bloomsbury was a great part of town to stay in. If we ever go back, I'd likely book another hotel (not the Holiday Inn) near Russell Square.
- We visited a great pub called The Lamb, but there were no tables avaiable, so we went next door for dinner. The pub did, however, leave a lasting memory, because of all the British pubs we visited that had funky, outdated carpet, The Lamb's was definitely the ugliest.
- Jamie Oliver was offering cooking classes while we were visiting. I was all for it, but Shefali vetoed it because it would qualify as "cheating on Bobby Flay." 
- While in Borough Market, I asked a woman buying flounder (better known as sole in Europe) how she cooks it. "[The fishmongers] fillet it for me, then I dust it in flour and fry it in a pan with butter," she said. "There's no need to mess around."
- The cable TV at our Holiday Inn was limited, but it did include two music channels that, amazingly, still show music videos. I started each day with  full session of British pop. Looking back, this wasn't a good use of my time, but I thought this video was pretty awesome:



That's our trip--stay tuned for Bombay highlights. 

No comments:

Post a Comment